Thursday, August 5, 2010

First day on the web ... and not sure what to do

So this is my first day blogging.  And I am not even sure what I am suppose to say.  Maybe because I am not even sure how to say it.

I have AVN.

There.  At least that part is out of the way.

When I finally went to the doctor after a few months of limping (and it progressively getting worse) he bluntly told me what I wrote above.  "You have AVN".  In my mind he was cold, but he was just being matter-of-fact.  Still, he could have warmed me up a little.  "You don't look TOO bad in those over sized blue paper shorts we gave you to put on for the examination".  Even that would had been nice.

AVN stands for Avascular necrosis.  And although I am still confused on the reasoning behind it, all I know is my hip is dying.  There is a blood vessel that supplies the red stuff to the top of my leg bone and ultimately to the ball part.  And the vessel is not working.  The bone is dying.

I am a 36 year old male and now walking with a cane.  I try to look professional walking around the streets of this city, but no one else with a cane looks like me.  And no one else like me has a cane.  Unfortunately, that style went out with Huggy Bear in the 70's.  (Yes I do remember the TV show)

So I am limping, trying to be cool while my leg is hurting.  All the while, I have been laid off at work and looking for a job, going to physical therapy once a week (while my previous doctor wanted me to go 2-3 times a week, but I can't afford it), got dropped from COBRA, finally found an insurance with open enrollment (cause Cigna did not tell me I was dropped until day 54 of the 61 lapse time), trying to save money to see my new HMO doctor and get a referral to see a new bone doctor ... to ultimately probably get a full out right hip replacement.

I am 36 and right now I can either hurt or get cut open and have a fake hip put in.

Not sure what is worse.

That is enough for now.  In the amount of time it took to type these paragraphs, I am worked up and ready to through this fake laptop across the room.

Maybe later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment